Friday, March 7, 2008

I Giardini di Marzo (The Gardens of March)

I Giardini di Marzo (The Gardens of March) by singer/songwriter Lucio Battisti (1943-1998)

Lyrics by Lucio Battisti thoughtfully provided by NB and trepidatiously translated by ALC with the assistance of NB. It's a very pretty song that you can see played here in a very groovy Leonard Cohenish sort of way.

Il carretto passava e quell'uomo gridava "gelati".
The cart passed and the man yelled "ice cream".

Al ventuno del mese i nostri soldi erano già finiti,

At the 21st of the month our money was already finished,

io pensavo a mia madre e rivedevo i suoi vestiti,
I thought of my mother and I saw once again her dresses,

il più bello era nero coi fiori non ancora appassiti.

the most beautiful one was black with flowers still unfaded.

All'uscita di scuola i ragazzi vendevano libri,
At the exit of the school, the children sold books,

io restavo a guardarli cercando il coraggio per imitarli,

I remained to guard them searching for the courage to imitate them,

poi sconfitto tornavo a giocar con la mente e i suoi tarli, then, defeated,

I returned to thoughts that ate away at my mind,

e la sera al telefono tu mi chiedevi perché non parli.

and that night on the telephone you asked me why I did not speak.

Che anno è, che giorno è,

What year is this, what day is this,

questo è il tempo di vivere con te;

this is the time of living with you;

le mie mani come vedi non tremano più

my hands, see, no longer tremble

e ho nell'anima, in fondo all'anima,

and I have in my soul, deep in my soul,

cieli immensi e immenso amore
immense skies and an immense love

e poi ancora, ancora amore amor per te,

and still more, more love, love for you,

fiumi azzurri e colline e praterie

blue rivers and hills and prairies

dove corrono dolcissime le mie malinconie,

where my sadnesses sweetly run,

l'universo trova spazio dentro me,

the universe finds a place within me,

ma il coraggio di vivere, quello ancora non c'è.

but the courage of living, that still, is not there.

I giardini di marzo si vestono di nuovi colori

The gardens of March dress in new colours

le giovani donne in quel mese vivono nuovi amori,

the young women in that month live new loves,

Camminavi al mio fianco ed ad un tratto dicesti "tu muori",

You walked at my side and at one point you said "you die",

"se mi aiuti son certa che io ne verrò fuori",

"if you help me it is certain that I will not go away",

ma non una parola chiarì i miei pensieri,

but not a word clarified my thoughts, c

continuai a camminare, lasciandoti attrice di ieri.
they continued walking, leaving the players of yesterday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

io restavo a guardarli cercando il coraggio per imitarli,
I remained to guard them searching for the courage to imitate them,

this should actually be "I stayed looking at them, searching..etc :)

Anonymous said...

"e la sera al telefono ..."
this should be translated "and in the evening ..."

"camminavi al mio fianco e ad un tratto dicesti "tu muori"...this should be : "you were walking beside me and suddenly you said "you're dying"

"se mi aiuti son certo che io ne verrò fuori", this should be : "if you help me I'm sure I will pull through"

"continuai a camminare,lasciandoti attrice di ieri", this should be : "I continued walking, leaving you actress of yesterday"